Saturday, September 22, 2012

What God wants

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
God didn't call us to be successful,
                            just faithful.
~Mother Theresa
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wow. That really enlightens my perspective on this parenting journey. It is so tempting to think, "If I train my child right, I'll eliminate all the unpleasantness of raising kids."  It's the A+B=C approach to parenting.  And it completely leaves out the child's free will to choose.  I have one child who chooses to obey the majority of the time, and another who chooses "the hard way."  It can make life awfully unpleasant.  And it causes me to go, "What did I do wrong? It must be my fault!"

That's the problem of looking for the "fruit" of our parenting efforts as the indicator of how good a job we're doing.  Here's what God says...

"Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!" (Matthew 25:21)

He's not commending the person for the fruit of his labor, but for his faithfulness! Ultimately, I/we need to trust God's sovereignty and His perfect plans. He proclaims He is "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us" (Ephesians 3:20). So we need to do our part, our child does (or doesn't do) his part, and God does His part—and God promises to work it all together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purposes (Romans 8:28)!

Don't let the enemy tell you you're a failure.  That's a lie.  Focus on being faithful.  You have a loving Father who is patient and tender and compassionate!  God IS love.  And He loves you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much informative and useful article… I like it personally…