Saturday, March 15, 2014

Baking soda, my hero

Yes, strange as it may sound, baking soda has become my hero!  I am convinced it can clean up virtually anything sticky or greazy.  (Yes, I spelled that with a Z on purpose.)


It all started a few months ago when my in-laws were visiting.  I was lamenting to my mother-in-law how diligently I 'd been trying to keep my new stove top free of cooked-on stains, but I despaired that I had lost the battle.  She inquired, "Have you tried baking soda?"

Seriously.  I have tried everything under the sun—everything short of a hammer and chisel.  Soaking the spot with boiling water.  Lots of dishsoap.  Vinegar.  Goo-gone.  Even the harshest chemical cleaners won't budge those cooked-on spots!

So there she went and dumped a small amount of baking soda next to the burner, and with a wet washcloth she dabbed at the baking soda and began to gently rub it in circles on the stain.  Voila!  With minimal effort, the cooked-on spots disappeared!  I was astounded!  (I may have even danced a little jig, but my memory doesn't serve me very well these days...)

Now baking soda is my "go-to" cleaner.  I have used it on sticky countertops, pans with baked-on cooking spray, and even the bathtub!  Better yet, it's not harsh on your hands (or your nostrils).  And it's cheap!

Go ahead and try it!  Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

No comments: