Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cooking experience

I just put together some Three Bean Casserole.... mmmm-mm! My favorite! (If I knew how to make it without brown sugar, I would... perhaps a combo of honey and molasses?... well, I'll figure that out another day...) Anyway, one of the ingredients is 1 lb. of bacon, fried crisp and drained. Any seasoned cook knows what isn't written: that you need to cut it into small pieces before adding it to the casserole.

It reminds me of my 7th grade Home Ec class, when we made New England Clam Chowder from scratch. The recipe called for bacon... but being UNseasoned cooks, we fried the bacon and threw it whole into the soup! Let's just say that made eating it a little more complicated. :)

In my teenage years, my mom kept encouraging me to help her prepare dinner, so I would learn how to cook. "Oh, Mom," I'd say in protest, "I'll just marry a man who knows how to cook!" Little did I know I wouldn't get married until I was nearly 32 years of age! After 8 years of marriage, 4 of which I have been a happy homemaker, my husband now raves about my cooking. :)

No comments: